Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Bears Upstairs







































So now that we're back, I'm going to be branching out a bit and covering the many insane books I see whilst substituting. Classrooms are a great source for this stuff, because teachers will never get rid of anything. Even this. I think my favorite part is the framing. In order to let us see everyone's face, the girl had to be looking back at them, so it makes me imagine what came before. I think they just walked past her and she didn't notice they were bears right away. "Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Bear. ... Waaaaaaait a minute..."

Fashion winner on this one is Mr. Bear. That cowboy hat, the Wesley Crusher-esque trench coat, the rope holding his suitcase closed- And yet Mrs. Bear has it so together. My brother insists we owned this book as children, but he's completely lying. I was curious, though, so I went a bit out of this blog's charter and actually looked for a plot description online. Here's a review by a 12 year old.

Interesting older title about a young girl who befriends two bears that move into her apartment building. The bears are waiting on "the others" to take them away where they can be free from the men hunting them who want to put them in a zoo.
That sounds terrifying. Other reviews make it clear that no one else notices they're bears. Which, come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment